The VARIDESK is an interesting product and the only of its kind that I know of. It’s a sort of desk hutch that sits on top of your normal desk, but its selling point is that you can adjust it to either have a standing height desk or a normal sitting height desk without having to disassemble anything. (You can also adjust it somewhere in between.)
There is no assembly out of the box, it just comes out ready to use. Takes like 10-15 minutes to get it set up on your desk. (You just have to find a friend to help you lift it up.) If you’re using a “normal” height desk, then the VARIDESK can give you proper ergonomics if you’re about 5′ 10″ at its maximum setting. It’s kind of expensive, but it’s the only kind of solution of its kind that is well rated.
* Easy to set up.
* Supports heights up to ~5′ 10″.
* Multiple models available, some can support a large monitor.
* Multiple levels to help support proper ergonomics. This makes a separate monitor arm less unnecessary for proper ergonomics.
* Some have said it’s a bit unstable if you’re a heavy typer. I didn’t have that issue when I tried it out because I’m a light typer. Even artificially typing hard, it isn’t exactly unstable, but you can definitely tell that the monitors are moving.
* Depending on how you use your desk, the surface area may not be enough for your coffee, notepad, and laptop, etc… There are different sized models, but it’s still not going to substitute for an entire full sized sitting desk space.
* Going to need longer cables if your desktop isn’t close enough to the fully extended desk.
Types of Varidesk available:
The Single Plus supports one monitor and also has 2 levels. This is the recommended setup over the “Single” only, since proper ergonomics are very important.
The Pro supports dual monitors, but only has one level, so no keyboard tray. Not that great if you want proper ergonomics without an additional monitor arm.